Posts Tagged United States
Microsoft said Tuesday it would make its Surface tablet available to outside sellers as soon as mid-December.
“The public reaction to Surface has been exciting to see. We’ve increased production and are expanding the ways in which customers can interact with, experience and purchase Surface,” said Surface general manager Panos Panay, without providing any specific sales figures.
A Microsoft statement said retail stores in the United States and Australia would be the first to sell the introductory Surface model with Windows RT, which has many features of a tablet along with an attachable cover-keyboard.
Retail availability in other countries will be announced in the coming months, said Microsoft, which began selling the Surface through its website, its “pop-up” holiday stores and permanent branded stores.
“Our plan has been to expand the retail presence for Surface after the first of the year,” said Steve Schueler, head of retail sales for Microsoft.
“Based on interest from retailers, we are giving them the option to carry Surface with Windows RT even earlier.”
Microsoft also announced that some of its pop-up stores would remain open past the year-end holidays and several would become permanent Microsoft retail outlets.
“These stores will transition into either permanent brick-and-mortar retail outlets or specialty store locations,” a company statement said.
Surface, with a starting price of $499, is now sold at Microsoft retail stores in the United States and Canada and online in the US, Australia, Britain Canada, China, France and Germany.
Microsoft said last month that its Surface Pro, a version of its new tablet aimed at business users, would be available in January starting at $899 for US customers.
- Microsoft confirms Surfaces coming to non-Microsoft retail outlets (zdnet.com)
- Surface RT begins its escape from Microsoft retail stores (networkworld.com)
- Microsoft increases Surface production, moves up retail availability (microsoft.com)
- Microsoft ramps up Surface tablet production (kansascity.com)
- Microsoft Expanding Surface Sales to Staples, Other Retailers (allthingsd.com)
City Lights of the World
Arctic Ice During Polar Darkness
- New stunning nighttime views of Earth unveiled (boston.com)
- Black Marble: NASA Releases Incredibly Detailed Photos of Earth at Night (petapixel.com)
- Technology › New stunning nighttime views of Earth unveiled (japantoday.com)
- NASA Reveals Stunning Nighttime Views of Earth PHOTOS (sfluxe.com)