SAN FRANCISCO: A Northern California jury on Monday found that Google Inc infringed upon Oracle Corp’s copyrights on the structure of part of the Java software programming language, in a high stakes trial over smartphone technology. However, the jury failed to decide after days of deliberation whether Google had the right to fair use of that copyrighted structure. The partial verdict was read in a San Francisco federal courtroom. Despite finding Google infringed upon some of Oracle’s copyrights, the lack of a clear, full decision may represent a setback for Oracle. The U.S. software company is trying to prove the Internet search leader did not have a right to fair use of Java’s structural and organizational elements. Google’s lawyers challenged the key jury decision on Java copyrights after the Monday verdict, moving for a mistrial. Oracle sued Google in August 2010, saying its Android mobile operating system infringes on its intellectual property rights to the Java programming language. Google says it does not violate Oracle’s patents and that Oracle cannot copyright certain parts of Java, an “open-source,” or publicly available, software language. Earlier in the case, estimates of potential damages against Google ran as high as $6.1 billion. But Google successfully narrowed Oracle’s patent claims, so that the bulk of Google’s damages exposure now derives mostly on copyright claims. Oracle is seeking roughly $1 billion in copyright damages. The seven woman, five man jury will begin hearing evidence on Oracle’s patents after rendering the copyright verdict. A third phase to decide damages would come after the patent testimony. The case in U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, is Oracle America, Inc v. Google Inc, 10-3561.
‘Google infringed on some Oracle Java copyright’
- RT @pewdiepie: Dear Nazis: Stop looking so identical to me You're really not helping my case here... https://t.co/zqB6lqbGwy 3 days ago
- RT @PlayGwent: "Don't need advisors and their schemes. I place my trust in my soldiers' blades." https://t.co/57MFtp9hdu 3 weeks ago
- @josecontic Sent you an email through the contact form at your site. Could you please check it out? :) 3 weeks ago
- RT @witchergame: A memorable night in Kaer Morhen Author: vk.com/milliganphotos #FridayFeeling https://t.co/8rd5edlqe9 3 weeks ago
- RT @BritishReaction: Someone bumps into you You: Sorry 1 month ago
- 5 13 Advertising Amazon Android Anonymous app Apple Apps Blog Business China Computers data Facebook FB Flame Gadgets Galaxy Games Gaming Google Hacked hacking HackingTag Security HP Inc India Instagram Internet iOS iPad iPhone Kindle LinkedIn Mac Mark Zuckerberg Microsoft mobile News nintendo Nokia online PC phones Playstation playstation-vita postaday PS3 Review Samsung Search Security Smartphone smartphones Social Media Social Network Software Sony Steam Tablet TechInUs technology Twitter Ubisoft Users Video Games Virus vita Website Wii Wii U Xbox Yahoo Zynga
SupportDo you love TechInUs? If you want to support us. Please offer your services to us for free. Click here to offer.